The prostate gland is walnut sized organ at the base of the bladder. In order men the gland increases in size and causes symptoms such as going to the bathroom frequently, dribbling after urination, and getting up at night to urinate. Here are a 11 suggestions that you might consider to relieve those symptoms.
1. Don’t drink anything several hours before you go to sleep.
2. Avoid caffeinated beverages such as coffee and tea as the caffeine acts as a diuretic
3. Limit your alcohol consumption especially at the dinner meal.
4. Avoid spicy foods.
5. Take medications such as your diuretics or water pills early in the day when going to the bathroom to urinate is not such an inconvenience.
6. Avoid antihistamines and decongestants
7. Don’t hold off going to the restroom
8. Use the clock to help with urination. Make an effort to urinate every 3-4 hours. Putting your bladder on a schedule is very helpful and a good habit to have.
9. Go and then go again. Stand at the toilet and empty your bladder, walk away from the toilet for a minute or two and then return and try emptying the bladder again.
10. Avoid cold seats such as at football games in the winter.
11. If you bike ride, especially for long distances, stand on the pedals every 10 or 15 minutes to take the pressure off of your prostate gland.
Bottom Line: These steps won’t cure the enlarged prostate but they will lessen the symptoms. If your symptoms persist, consider a visit to your urologist